Ex-Pats, Dual Citizens, and Taxes

This will have to be a quick post, unfortunately.  I haven’t had all that much time to write lately, but this subject is near and dear to me, as I have been an ex-pat for most of my twenties.

The IRS does indeed attempt to tax citizens for money earned abroad.  To the best of my knowledge, this is all income earned after $90,000 American per year.  Fortunately, this excludes a good number of people working overseas.  However, it still irks me to no end that I have to send in all of my paperwork, in spite of the fact that I pay income and residency taxes in the country where I currently reside.  Should those fortunate enough to be earning above that $90K threshold really have to be taxed twice?

This is the link for the original article that got my goat on Mises.  The IRS is nuts, and unfortunately, they’re known for making people’s lives hell.  If there are any expats out there, I believe the IRS has a form, 8802, that can potentially enable you to get out of paying taxes overseas.  I haven’t done all of my homework on this yet, so don’t quote me on anything, though.  Once I have the information, I will update this post with the “certified” correct info.


About The Lady Libertarian
I am American, currently expatriated but hopeful about getting back home one of these days. Besides reading and writing about politics, I enjoy camping, sailing, canoeing, making pie, and traveling. I hope you'll enjoy this blog and find it informative and accessible.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: